10 Tips for storing Food
Are you tired of throwing out food because it perishes too fast? Here are some tips to optimize the preservation of food and thus avoid wasting it.
- Be sure to check the refrigerator temperature regularly. To prevent the growth of microorganisms that cause food degradation, it must be between 0 and 4 ° C, while that of the freezer must be -18 ° C or less.
- As soon as you arrive home from the grocery store, pack the lettuce in paper towels or clean dishcloth before putting them back in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. The leaves will remain beautiful longer. Do the same with celery, green onions, and clusters of parsley and coriander!
- Keep apples in a refrigerator bag and wash them only right before eating them. They will stay crisp longer!
- Some fruits that are stored at room temperature, such as tomatoes and bananas, should never be locked in a bag, as they would ripen too quickly because of the ethylene they release.
- Make sure the container in which you keep the leftover of a meal is of the correct size. It must contain as little air as possible. The same applies to a yogurt container. When it is half empty, it is better to transfer what remains in a smaller container.
- When vegetables remain at the end of the meal, put them immediately in the freezer to prevent them from perishing in the back of the refrigerator. You can use them another day to make a tasty soup!
- When you store your purchases, perform a rotation among them. Those purchased last week obviously must be consumed before those you just bought!
- Do not throw away brown sugar which has hardened. Simply add a piece of apple peel in the container or the sealed bag and in a short time it will revert to a softer state.
- Store flour in the freezer. You can keep a small amount in an airtight container in the pantry, but never in its original paper packaging. You risk an infestation of food moths (flour insects) otherwise.
- Avoid buying too much! It is better to go to the store more often than to dump wasted surplus in the trash.